Robert M. Herz
Mr. Herz is the owner of the Law Offices of Robert Herz, P.C. located in Anchorage, Alaska. Mr. Herz represents private and indigent clients statewide in state and federal courts. His practice is limited to Criminal Law and Civil Rights. In his 30 year practice of law Mr. Herz has tried numerous serious felony and misdemeanor cases.
Mr. Herz received his B.S. with honors from the University of California and his J.D. from the University of Oregon. Following law school he clerked for the Honorable Thomas E. Schulz, Superior Court Judge for the State of Alaska. Mr. Herz was the Supervising Attorney for the Palmer office of the Alaska Public Defender Agency, the third largest public defender office in Alaska for nearly eight years. In that capacity he trained many new lawyers in trial advocacy.
Mr. Herz has appeared on Court TV, has lectured at trial advocacy conferences and seminars, and has provided training on jury selection, cross-examination, discovery, forensic evidence, and case load management.
Mr. Herz is a life member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, a founding member of the Alaska Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, formerly served as Vice President--Criminal and as a member of the Board of Directors for the Alaska Academy of Trial Lawyers, and presently is appointed to a third three year term by the Chief Justice of the Alaska Supreme Court to serve on the Criminal Rules Committee for the Alaska Court System and previously was appointed to two three year terms by the Chief Judge of the Federal District Court for the District of Alaska to the Criminal Justice Act Advisory Committee.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Alaska, 1987
- Colorado, 2013
- U.S. District Court District of Alaska, 1987
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado 2013
- University of Oregon School of Law, Eugene, Oregon
J.D. - May, 1986
- University of California, Davis, California, USA
B.S. with Honors - December, 1980
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Alaska Bar Association, Member
- Colorado Bar Association, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Life Member
- Alaska Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Founding Member
- Colorado Criminal Defense Bar, Member
- Alaska Supreme Court Criminal Rules Advisory Committee
- United States District Court Criminal Justice Act Advisory Committee for the District of Alaska
Past Employment Positions
- Alaska Public Defender Agency, Palmer Office, Supervising Attorney, 1993 - 2000
- Alaska Public Defender Agency, Palmer Office, Asst. Public Defender, 1990 - 1993
- Middleton, Timme & McKay, Associate Attorney , 1989 - 1990
- Alaska Public Defender Agency, Kenai Office, Asst. Public Defender, 1988 - 1989
- Law Clerk for Superior Court Judge Thomas E. Schulz, 1986 - 1988